Lithuanian Aviation Museum exposition in Kaunas


The Lithuanian Aviation Museum formerly known as the Lithuanian Technical Museum was founded on February 19, 1990, on the base of the Vytautas the Great Military Museum section of Technical History. It acquired its present name on February 1, 1995.
The museum is within the jurisdiction of the Lithuanian Ministry of Culture and its located in Kaunas, at the Darius and Girenas airfield, which has been in operation since 1915. The museum was started establishing in 1982 when a senior research worker was employed by Kaunas State Museum of History. He was charged to collect articles of the history of technology. In 1983 a sector of the history of technology was established in the museum, in 1985 it was reorganized into a division. In 1985-1987 the division of the history of technology organized 3 conferences on the history of technology in Lithuania, printed theses of reports. In 1989-1990 the division took over a part of displays of the Museum of Sport Aviation which had functioned in Kaunas in 1983-1989. On March 21, 1990 buildings owned by the United Aviation Crew of Kaunas in 132 Veiverių St. were transmitted to the division of the history of technology. On February 19, 1990 on the basis of the division of the history of technology of Vytautas Magnus Military Museum Lithuanian Museum of Technology was established by order of the Minister
of Culture.The Lithuanian Ministry of Culture founded Lithuanian Aviation Museum on 19th of February, 1990. It is located in Kaunas, Veiveriu str. 132, at the Darius and Girenas airfield. In 2009 Museum’s collection consisted of more than 19,000exhibits, including 43 aircraft and gliders. Museum’s library had 18,500 volumes of aviation and technical books and periodicals. The exhibits were started to collect by aviation enthusiasts in 1963. It was difficult to preserve flying exhibits during that time, because the Soviet regulations strictly required to scrap the obsolete aircraft and gliders. Museum is working in close cooperation with the Lithuanian Air Forces, Association of Lithuanian Aviation Veterans, Aero Club of Lithuania, A. Gustaitis Aviation Institute, “Helisota Ltd.” and “AB Sportine Aviacija” companies. Along with the Kaunas Fire and Rescue Service the Museum collects exhibits about fire fighting in Lithuania, other exhibits of technical history.The workers of the Museum perform methodical research of the Lithuanian aviation history and publish these materials in the Museum’s publication “Plieno sparnai” (“Wings of steel”), cooperates with historians and museum specialists in other countries.

On March 6, 1991 a publishing house “Plieno sparnai” (Steel wings) was registered. In summer 1991 the museum took over transatlantic pilots’ S. Darius and S. Girenas homesteads in Klaipeda and Šilale regions restored by Lithuanian Cultural Foundation and veterans of aviation. On February 2, 1995 the museum was named Lithuanian Aviation Museum. Founder of the museum – Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania.


Cultural, educational activity
The museum’s publishing house “Plieno sparnai” (Steel wings) publishes literature on the history of Lithuanian aviation.
Publishing house of the museum “Plieno sparnai” (Steel wings) has published 6 booklets of chronicles of the museum, aviators’ memoirs, monographs, ethnographic studies, majority of which are on the history of the aviation of Lithuania.
The museum corresponds and exchanges publications with aviation museums, historians, and editorial offices of periodicals in different countries of the world.
At the end of 1999 the album of photographs kept at the Museum was published under the name “Lithuanian Military Aviation in years from 1919 to 1940”.


For the visitors are shown 220 photographs reflecting development of the Lithuanian aviation from its birth to nowadays. In the center of  the hall, vizitors can see the propellers of the first Lithuanian military airplanes ANBO designed by gen. A. Gustaitis
The museum has a number of flying aircrafts, including the famous transatlantic aircraft replica "Lituanica". Besides them, museum has several lined aviation engines used in various periods. In the halls are demonstrated plastic models airplanes, motorized ultralight glider, gliders and helicopters of various times.